Call For Artists Submissions
Festival Group Inc. (FGI), producers of Gator By The Bay, the largest Louisiana-themed music and food festival this side of the bayou, and the Bon Temps Social Club of San Diego (BTSC) have announced a call for artist entries for the 16th Annual Gator by the Bay Festival poster. The chosen artist will produce an original, finished art piece that will result in the creation of the collectable art poster, and in advertising for the 2017 Gator By The Bay Festival.
“We are looking for an artist who can capture the dynamic essence of the Gator By The Bay Festival. This family-friendly, music and food event showcases the vibrant, colorful culture, music and cuisine of Louisiana. With musical genres which include Cajun, blues, zydeco, Latin, rockabilly and country, the multi-day event celebrates fun, friendship, life and dance – or as they say in French, ‘joie de vivre’, joy of living”, said Peter Oliver, producer of Gator By The Bay. “We look forward to selecting from a variety of creative submissions, and providing exposure to the artist who best portrays the festival’s spirit.”
HOW TO ENTER
Submissions from artists of all skill levels are welcome. Entries can be drawn, painted, electronically created or composed of mixed-media.
Interested artists are invited to submit their concept, sketch and/or preliminary drawing and a description of the medium they intend to use. All submissions will be considered by a festival board of advisors who will ultimately determine the finalists and selected artist. Entries can be drawn, painted, electronically created or composed of mixed-media. Electronic renderings of the designs should be submitted by email to email@example.com with the subject line “2017 Art Entry”.
ELEMENTS THE ARTIST MIGHT CONSIDER
Gator by the Bay is a family-friendly, outdoor, music, dance and food festival. 2017 will be the festival’s 16th year. The festival will be held on May 11, 12, 13 and 14, 2017 at Spanish Landing Park in San Diego.
Key features of the festival are:
- Open-air outdoor festival
- Adjacent to San Diego Bay
- Featuring live music in the genres of blues, Cajun, zydeco, rockabilly, Latin and country
- Food offerings are inspired by the American South and include crawfish, gumbo, jambalaya, beignets, BBQ and Cajun specialties
- Beer and wine are served
- Dancing is a major element of the festival
To get an additional feel for the festival, look through the website gatorbythebay.com and the Gator by the Bay Facebook page.
SUBMISSION PERIOD & DEADLINE FOR ENTRY
Entries will be accepted starting on September 15, 2016. Deadline for submitting entries is October 31, 2016 at 5pm PDT.
If selected, the artist must create an original artwork based on the submitted design. Finished art must be suitable for creation of a festival art poster and/or t-shirt art.
Inability to contact the winner may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner so be sure to provide all your contact information with your submission.
STIPEND & CREDIT
Gator By The Bay’s featured poster artist will receive a stipend in the amount of $1,000 upon completion of the final art. The artist will be recognized with credit when the art is used in print or on the web, and will receive an AP (artist proof) copy of the limited edition poster created from the final art. Additionally, the featured artist will be promoted on the Gator By The Bay Festival website with a bio and link to the artist’s website if applicable, and provided with a 10’ x 10’ exhibit space at the festival to display and/or sell his or her other original art if desired.
All use of the art will include the artist’s name. There may also be potential opportunity for additional design work. Non-selected submissions will be kept by FGI and may be used in future years’ promotions, with permission from and compensation to the artist.
- No purchase necessary to enter. Submissions will be accepted beginning September 15, 2016. Entries (concept, sketch and/or preliminary drawing and a description of the medium they intend to use ) must be received by 5pm PDT on October 31, 2016.
- Void where prohibited by law.
- To Enter: Entries can be drawn, painted or electronically created or composed of mixed-media. Submissions must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. When emailing, include the subject line “2017 Artist Submission.”
- Each artist warrants that he or she alone created the submitted work of art, or if there are collaborators, they are named.
- Entries must be original works of art and not copies, derivatives or based in any way on other copyrighted or published works of art.
- Submissions must not include any images protected by copyright or trademark law, including brand names, logos, graphics, pictures or text or other property belonging to a third party. Additionally, submissions may not violate an individual’s rights, including but not limited to the right to privacy or publicity.
- It is understood that the foregoing eligibility requirements may be amended, revised or changed at any time and in any fashion at FGI’s sole discretion.
- Submission of art for consideration implies acceptance of all stated conditions.
Judging will be conducted by the producers of Gator by the Bay and other professionals selected by the producers. FGI retains the sole rights to select and determine the judging panel, as well as the final selection of the chosen artist. All decisions of the judges are final.
Judges will be asked to consider originality, sense of composition, creativity, technical skill, use of colors and light, commercial appeal, and overall impact of the artwork.
The judges also reserve the right not to select any of the submissions if, in their sole discretion, the submissions do not meet the qualification standards based on the judging criteria specified herein. The application of the judging criteria shall be in the sole and absolute discretion of the judges. FGI and other contest entities disclaim any liability from any of their actions relating to this contest. Participants agree to waive any claims against contest entities relating to the judging or awarding process.
Judges will make up to three (3) attempts to contact the chosen artist via the telephone number(s) and/or e-mail(s) provided with his or her submission. If the selected artist cannot be reached directly during the three attempts to contact him or her, the artist will be disqualified and an alternate artist may be selected, in the judges’ sole discretion, from among the remaining eligible submissions received. In addition, the judges reserve the right to select an alternative artist in the event that any potential artist fails to comply with these rules and or complete the final artwork within the defined time frame .
- It is understood that the selected artist of the Gator by the Bay Call for Art in exchange for the payment of the $1,000 stipend will grant all copyright rights in the commissioned artwork to Festival Group (The art is a “work for hire”). This includes but is not limited to Gator by the Bay’s and Festival Group’s exclusive, perpetual, worldwide right to broadcast, publish, store, reproduce, distribute, syndicate, and otherwise use and exhibit the selected artwork (along with the artist’s name and artwork title) in all media now known and that may later come into being for purposes of trade or advertising without further compensation. Artists represent and warrant that they have full legal right, power and authority to grant Festival Group, Gator by the Bay and its affiliates the foregoing rights and if applicable, have secured all necessary rights from any participants in, and contributors to, the winning artwork in order to grant such a rights.
- Festival Group Inc and its affiliates are under no obligation to use any submission nor are they under any obligation to return the submissions to participants.
- All participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Festival Group and its affiliates in their sole discretion, reserve the right to disqualify any person it finds to be tampering with the entry process, the operation of its website, or is otherwise in violation of these rules.
- Festival Group and its affiliates are not responsible for late, lost, or misdirected email or for any computer, online, telephone, or technical malfunctions that may occur. If for any reason the competition is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, or technical failures of any sort, Festival Group and its affiliates may cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the contest. Entrants further agree to release Festival Group and its affiliates from any liability resulting from, or related to, participation in the contest.
- The name of the selected artist may be obtained by sending a self- addressed, stamped envelope to: Festival Group, 2326 India Street, San Diego CA 92101
- Gator by the Bay has the right to request modifications and/or make changes to the final artwork.
Below are samples of some earlier Gator By The Bay art.